Re: [K12OSN] OT sme / e-smith and dansguardian?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Baillie" <jbaillie stmarys-school org>
To: <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 2:56 PM
Subject: [K12OSN] OT sme / e-smith and dansguardian?

> Hello all,
>
> Setting up DG and squid was a breeze using latest k12 until I attempted
> setting up transparent proxy :-/
>
> School starts in two weeks and time is getting short. (where did the
> summer go).
>
> Surfin' around for answers I came across Dungog Networks
> http://www.dungog.net/sme/products/index.php
>
> They do customization of e-smith and their implementation of DG looks
> interesting.
>
> Anyone here use e-smith and care to chip in their .02?
>
> TIA,
> John

Sure.

I use e-smith 5.6 as a proxy for a highschool with 220 workstations, another
one at a primary school and one at home so I don't have to change browser
settings on my portable when I move from site to site to home. The home one
is configured as a domain controller, dhcp-server, proxy, smtp, etc. for the
"home area network". It runs on a VIA motherboard with a K6-500 with out a
fan, powered by an of-the-shelf 200w ATX powersupply with the fan disabled.
It gets hot, but it works nicely.

The school proxies sends all requests onwards to our Educational Departments
proxy server, which also does some accounting and filtering.

Their squid.conf files consists of 1.3kb of information necessary to run as
a basic transparent proxy with no peer proxies.
I have a generic recipe for using it in a South Australian school
environment at: http://www.redjocks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41

cheers
Samps