Re: [K12OSN] Multiplayer games possible?

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 03:15:12PM -0400, Brad Mills wrote:
> Thank you for the replies.
>
>  I've gone and seeked, must of the games are either way above my (growing)
> skillset and/or required obscene amounts of high-end hardware.

Bah! :^)  Okay, some may be too hard:

  Advanced Strategic Command:  (RTS game)
  http://www.asc-hq.org

  Mangband:  (Multiplayer 'Angband' RPG game)
  http://mangband.org/

  Freeciv:  ('Civilization' clone)
  http://www.freeciv.org/

Some may need OpenGL:

  ADIC (Any Door is Closed):
  http://adic.berlios.de/

  armagetron:  ("Tron" 'light-cycles' game)
  http://armagetron.sourceforge.net/

  BZFlag:  ('Capture the flag' with 3D tanks)
  http://BZFlag.org/

But not ALL of them do:

  Maelstrom 3.0:  ('Asteroids' clone; now multiplayer)
  http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/

  Mah-Jong:
  http://www.stevens-bradfield.com/MahJong/

  Bomber Instinct:  ('Bomberman' clone)
  http://bomberinstinct.sourceforge.net

  Batalla Naval:  (You sunk my...!)
  http://batnav.sourceforge.net

  Bots'n'Scouts:  (Robot programmer; based on a board game, I think)
  http://botsnscouts.sourceforge.net/index.php3

  ClanBomber:  ('Bomberman' clone)
  http://clanbomber.sourceforge.net/

  Europa:
  http://europa.mochasoft.ca/

  Liquid War:  (Bizarre game; worth looking at!)
  http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar

  NJam:  (Multiplayer 'Pac-Man' clone)
  http://njam.sourceforge.net

I could go on, but I'm tired and bored. ;^)

Note: I haven't tried many of these games, but doing a search for
the keyword "multiplayer" at the Linux Game Tome (http://www.happypenguin.org/)
and looking for games that specifically say "Network Play: Yes" is
probably what you're looking for.

Good luck! :^)

-bill!
(needs to write more mutiplayer games)

--
bill newbreedsoftware com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!