Re: [K12OSN] Multiplayer games possible?

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 07:54:20PM -0400, Brad Mills wrote:
<snip>

> [root ltsp brad]# cd /
> [root ltsp /]# find armagetron
> find: armagetron: No such file or directory

FYI, you want:

  [current dir doesn't matter]
  find / -name "armagetron"

or:

  cd /
  find . -name "armagetron"

See the "find" man page for details on syntax.  It can be tricky at first.

<snip>
>   Maelstrom 3.0:  ('Asteroids' clone; now multiplayer)
>   http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/
>
> Ok, that went well! ;) on the server,and on ws004 ! Woo-Hoo, may be time to
> beckon the Resident Teenager, "Do-Aller" of all things game ;) and try for a
> www session.

Hehe... I'm glad SOMETHING worked for you. ;)

>   Mah-Jong:
>   http://www.stevens-bradfield.com/MahJong/
>
> This was on the K12LTSP, hence installed. So I'm wondering about multi-player.
> Will research at the website.

"Mah-Jong" is a pretty generic title for a Mah-Jongg game.
(Kind of like "Solitaire" would be for a solitair game ;^) )
You might want to make sure it is, in fact, the same game (the one w/ multi-
player support).  If so, the multi-player stuff SHOULD be in there,
assuming it's not a new feature that has come out since it was packaged for
K12LTSP...

>   Bomber Instinct:  ('Bomberman' clone)
>   http://bomberinstinct.sourceforge.net
>
> BomberInstinct-0.8.9.tar.gz
> [brad ltsp BomberInstinct-0.8.9]$ ls
<snip>
> [brad ltsp BomberInstinct-0.8.9]$ ./install
> bash: ./install: No such file or directory

You want:

  ./configure
  make
  su  [ enter root pw ]
  make install

... most likely :^)

One of my gripes about autoconf/automake is the huge amount of clutter in
the main dir of a program when it gets distributed. :^P

>   Batalla Naval:  (You sunk my...!)
>   http://batnav.sourceforge.net
>
> Looks good on the screen shots - untarred this and now 35 files to deal with.
> Just a Win dummy, will have to learn about all this 'make' stuff.

You'll get used to it.  The mantra is _typically_ the
"configure/make/make install" stuff shown above...

Look for an "INSTALL" or "README" somewhere that might give exact details...

Sometimes (like in all of my games, since I never bothered learning
the autoconf/automake stuff that gives one the "./configure" script),
it's just "make/make install".

>   Bots'n'Scouts:  (Robot programmer; based on a board game, I think)
>   http://botsnscouts.sourceforge.net/index.php3
>
>  Hmmmm, 'all java' sounded promising, however:
> [root ltsp botsnscouts-0.8.2]# ls
> botsnscouts.jar  INSTALL    README             start.sh        tileeditor.sh
> COPYING          KNOWNBUGS  README.fullscreen  SYSTEMREQ       tiles
> fullscreen.sh    lib        start.bat          tileeditor.bat
> [root ltsp botsnscouts-0.8.2]# start.sh
> bash: start.sh: command not found

This is because "." (aka "whatever the current directory is") is not in your
shell's $PATH variable.  Therefore, it's only looking for "start.sh" in the
typical directories  (/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, etc.).

You want:

  ./start.sh

And preferably NOT as root, for safety reasons.  ;)
(Try to be 'root' as infrequently as possible!!!)

> [root ltsp botsnscouts-0.8.2]# start.bat
> bash: start.bat: command not found
> [root ltsp botsnscouts-0.8.2]# INSTALL
> bash: INSTALL: command not found
> [root ltsp botsnscouts-0.8.2]# ./INSTALL
> bash: ./INSTALL: Permission denied

Hehe... "INSTALL" is probably some documentation on how to install the
program.  Open it up in a text viewer or text editor.
(A web browser would do... or simply typing "less INSTALL" should work to
display it in your terminal)

Personally, what _I_ do in my programs, is name documentation files with
".txt" extensions, so that it's obvious.  e.g., "INSTALL.txt",
"README.txt", "COPYING.txt", "AUTHORS.txt", "CHANGES.txt" or "ChangeLog.txt",
etc...

This also helps when browsing around directories with a GUI browser.
It shows the text files AS TEXT FILES, so you know you can safely
double-click them to read them.

I wish more developers did that. :^(

>  Again, surely there's some steep learning to do here.
>
>   ClanBomber:  ('Bomberman' clone)
>   http://clanbomber.sourceforge.net/
>
>  AHA! an RPM ... these at least have a chance against a M$-inflickted mind ;)
> Alas, (sigh) 'Packages not found ..." and 4 items listed.

This is why I like Debian.  It usually figures it all out and downloads
what's needed for me.  ;)  What packages are missing?
(No doubt some clan-lib ones, judging by the game's name)

<snip>
>   Liquid War:  (Bizarre game; worth looking at!)
>   http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar
>
>  Yee-haw, another RPM. </HOPE!> (sigh) nothing on the menu, can't find from
> cmdline liq+TAB ... did an updatedb ... liq+TAB = no dice.

updatedb won't update your shell's knowledge of what programs are
available.  It WILL update your 'locate' database, so you can do:

  locate liquid | less

or:

  locate /liq | grep bin

or other fun things...

If you're using BASH, though, it should see programs that land in the $PATH
without any 'updating' being needed.  CSH and TCSH require you run "rehash"
to update it's listing of known programs...

You're PROBABLY using BASH.  (Run "echo $SHELL" to find out.)

>  [root ltsp brad]# cd /
> [root ltsp /]# find liquid*

Hehe... Time to "man find", I think. ;^)  The first argument you're giving
to 'find' here is "what directory to start the search from."  Since there's
probably no "liquid..."-named directory in "/", it just gives up.

If there WERE, what find would do in this case is show you EVERYTHING in
that directory.

Try:

  find /usr | less

Note it's not looking for any particular file (no "*partial-name*" or
"-type f" ('regular file'))...  It just shows you EVERYTHING in "/usr".

See above for my example of a better way of using find. ;)  For example:

  find / -name "*liquid*" | less

>  GUI only found a .jpg using liquid*  Where do these things go? Seemed to
> install OK, but???

Normally the _executable_programs_ get installed in "/bin" or "/usr/bin"
or "/usr/local/bin" or "/local/bin" or other places that are typically in
your shell's $PATH.

>   NJam:  (Multiplayer 'Pac-Man' clone)
>   http://njam.sourceforge.net
>
> njam-0.96-i386.tar.gz
> /home/brad/njam-0/njam-0.96-i386/INSTALL
>  INSTALL sez: When ready, unpack the source to any folder, and run: make
>
>  Ok, I'll byte -
> [root ltsp njam-0.96-i386]# make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> [root ltsp njam-0.96-i386]#

Huh... Is there a "src/" directory inside the "njam-0.96-i386" directory?

Sometimes programmers are irritating and force you to 'cd' into one deeper
directory before running "make".  >:^(

Even in programs where I have a "src/" directory (to keep the source files
from cluttering up the package's main directory), I DO leave a "Makefile"
in the main dir., so that you can just go:

  tar -xzf progname.tar.gz
  cd progname/
  make

...and it works. :^/  Again, I wish other developers remembered that not
everyone is an expert at compiling stuff.  *sigh*

> So, we'll keep on plugging.

:)  Well, I hope I've helped with some of the tips above.
If so, I'm glad I can help! ;)

Good luck!

-bill!

--
bill newbreedsoftware com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!