From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of Access Systems
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 5:44 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Windows 2000 Server to Linux Migration

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Petre Scheie wrote:

> Just some book opinions that may or may not be relevant to you:
>
> Red Hat: I've been looking for a good RH-specific book for years and
> have yet to find one.  What I want is a book that covers, for example,

I've been looking for a mid level book,  there seem to be books for
newbies, and there are a lot of books for the guru's but what about the
person in between ???  got a good system up and running and able to use it
with few problems, but if I want to tweek it or trouble shoot I can read
something that I understand but doesn't go anywhere as far as I need, or a
book so over my head that I don't even understand the language...

Bob

> [...]
> to figure out my problems using the docs at apache.org.
>
> Sendmail: I own the O'Reilly book, and while it's comprehensive,
> sendmail is so flexible, it's rather overwhelming.  I don't know if
> there are any other books on it.
>
> MySQL: Get the O'Reilly book.
>
> PHP4: (This is the real reason I started this message).  I started
> digging into PHP a few months ago.  In looking for a book on it, I
> narrowed it down to the O'Reilly and Wrox's "Beginning PHP", finally
> settling on the Wrox book.  But now I'm wishing I'd gotten the O'Reilly.
>   The Wrox book is really good for absolute beginners, and the reason I
> grabbed it is that it had a section that addressed the problem I had at
> hand at the moment.  However, I've been doing Perl for some years, to
> which PHP is similar, and have found that the Wrox book moves too
> slowly, too incrementally for my taste, and am trying to figure out how
> to get my employer to pay for the O'Reilly book.  The Wrox book is good,
> it's just at a different pace than I need right now.  So, depending on
> your background, the Wrox may be better.  Or not.
>
> Samba: You didn't specifically mention this, but I'll throw out my
> opinion anyway.  The O'Reilly book is good (and the contents of it are
> available online I believe), but over the years I've found the "Samba
> Unleashed" (by Sams?) to be a better resource when I'm trying to fix
> something.
>
> Again, these are just my experiences.  Everyone is different, so these
> opinions may not be relevant to you.
>
> BTW, check into Webmin, which allows you to configure the Linux box
> using a web browser.  It may make the transition easier if you're used
> to doing everything from a graphical tool.
>
> Petre
>
> Santiago, Nicholas wrote:
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > Perhaps some of you may be of assistance. I am trying to find a decent
> > resource for a partial migration from Windows2000 Server to more
> > open-source platforms and programs.
> >
> > There are a number of reasons for our switch, the primary one being the
> > ridiculous licensing fees for many things. I only say a partial
> > migration because at this point I am extremely comfortable with
> > Windows2000 Server, and plan to keep the Exchange Server 2000 in place,
> > as the entire staff is comfortable with Outlook and the groupware as-is.
> >
> > My main plans are to utilize Red Hat 9, Apache, Sendmail (for tech staff
> > only), MySQL, and PHP4. Can anyone think of any good true beginner
> > resources, or resources for a switch from WindowsNT/2000 or Novell to
> > Linux?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> >
> > Nick
> > --
> > Nicholas Santiago
> > Coordinator of Network and Communications Technologies
> > Holy Infancy School â?¢ 127 E. 4th St. â?¢ Bethlehem, PA 18015
> > (610) 868-2621 â?¢ santiagon holyi org <mailto:santiagon holyi org>  â?¢

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys smartnospam net