Re: [K12OSN] W2K and samba

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 11:19, Doug Simpson wrote:
> This is driving me nutz!
>
> I am trying to connect a W2K computer to my samba server and it won;t
> allow it.  I have tried everything I know to do and it won't work.  It
> says the domain doesn't exist or can't be contacted.
>
> The computer sees the server when you search by IP but not by name.

Windows will try to do netbios name resolution first, which will
only work if you are on the same LAN segment or have a common
WINs server configured on the machines.  Then some versions will
try DNS (win2k should) so if the server name is in dns and the
client is configured to search the right domain it should work.
What does 'nslookup' say about the server name?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com