RE: [K12OSN] LDAP FAQ?

I'v read a fair amount of stuff on LDAP, including a few how-to's.  With all
due respect to the authors, and a healthy dose of my own lameness, I'd not
had much success in setting up a directory to my specifications with any
ease.  Yes, I created the ldif's, tweaked ldap.conf and slapd.conf, used
ldapadd (or slapadd), and had some semblance of a directory, but.....

The other day I stumbled upon a tool which some of you (or, perhaps, many of
you) might know: davedap (http://davedap.sourceforge.net/).  It's a
web-based LDAP creation and maintenance tool.  It requires Apache and PHP
with LDAP support (trivial to set up), and, of course you must tweak
ldap.conf and slapd.conf (also trivial).  Also tweak config.php in davedap
directory (instructions, BTW, are simple and straightforward).  I found that
I had to write one simple ldif to create my base DN, as in:

dn: dc=mydomain,dc=com
dc: mydomain
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
objectClass: domainRelatedObject
associatedDomain: mydomain.com

After these steps are completed, it's a simple matter of using your browser
to get to, and configure, LDAP.  The interface is well conceived and easy to
use.

Some might want to give it a try.

Dimitri