Re: [K12OSN] dhcpd on fresh LTSP3.1.1 running, but no offers

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 05:00, ssanders coin org wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 10:14, Richard Black wrote:
>
> so the main problem now? the new DES 1009G switch sees the i840 NIC, but
> does not appear to pass PXE. i found that Dlink had 24/7 support, so i
> happily called them @ 4am, but this switch is mon-friday support only. i
> could put a 5 1/4" etherboot floppy in it, just to be twisted, i guess.

A switch can spend up to a minute doing spanning-tree negotiations when
a port first comes up before it will forward any packets out.  I'd
guess the PXE boot code in ROM is timing out before the switch starts
sending anything through.  If the switch has management you should
be able to tell it to forward packets during negotiation (safe as long
as you don't plug another switch that makes a loop into that port).
You could try plugging your hub in between the PC and switch so the
port doesn't drop to test this theory.  The floppy boot would also
probably work just because it will take longer.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com