Re: [K12OSN] smp and bigmem kernels?

Duane Wilson <aaa pacifier com> wrote:

Is there any problem with using bigmem if I have 4 Gig or less?  Does
it slow things down?
<<

I only have a vague understanding of this aspect of the kernel, but yes, I
understand there will be some overhead, and I suspect you'll see slightly
increased memory usage, too (larger data structures, plus different
alignment).

I'd say, with 4GB, you're right on the upper limit of the regular smp
kernel, so that's the one you should use.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]