Re: [K12OSN] smp and bigmem kernels?

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 01:07, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

>     Where the heck to do you GET machines that'll accept this much
> memory? (I'd also like to find where you get one of those 32-processor
> x86 machines...)

IBM makes at least 16 processor machines but they aren't cheap
especially if you load them with IBM brand memory.   One thing to
watch out for when buying xeon motherboards today is that they
all have specs for memory capacity counting 2 gigs per dimm
slot but if you can find 2 gig dimms at all they cost about 4x
the price of 1 gig strips.

The Relion 130 through 240 series from www.penguincomputing.com have
6 dimm slots at decent prices and since they come running Linux you
don't have to worry about drivers for anything including the 3ware
ide raid. The fans are loud on these rackmount models though - you
don't want to work in the same room with them.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com