Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] NAT and DHCP

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 09:59, Doug Simpson wrote:

Yeah, but around here that's like pulling teethe out of a chicken. . . Probably not going to happen. . .

I think if I had to spend time working around the lack of a $10 NIC, I'd be perverse enough to try running user-mode-linux to set up a virtual machine that had two virtual nics where NAT would work as expected, and the dhcp server for the rest of the machines would run there. I've done something similar under VMware but that costs a lot more than a NIC.

You need to look at your network connections to see if a one-nic
configuration is even possible though. You must have something
to keep the DHCP services separated. If your branch connects through
a router that does not forward DHCP you could get away with serving
private addresses back on your LAN connection. However, if you are
already connected to another DHCP server you can't put your own on
the same wire unless they are both configured to only answer specific
hardware addresses. A second NIC with a local hub/switch avoids this
problem.

Yes, or even simpler, virtual NIC, but I'm not sure how far your mileage would get you:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.11.1

Of course we could alternatively take up a collection... do you take paypal? ;-)

--
Sincerely,
Richard Black