Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] NAT and DHCP

Doug Simpson wrote:

There wilol only be one(1) dhcp server running on this network but I need to be able to connect to it with computers in both 170.211.36.x (public) and 192.168.0.x (private) ranges. the public numbers are statically assigned but all the private ones are dhcp assigned. I need NAT to translate between the two and with only 15 (or so) computers connecting, one NIC will serve this OK if I can get NAT owrking on just one NIC. Otherwise I'll just have to put in another card. All I nned to know is if NAT will work with only one NIC and if so an example of the /etc/init.d/nat file.

If that's all we're doing, then I don't see why a virtual IP and a default route wouldn't work. For example.

LTSP server w/ dhcp. 1 physical NIC. 2 ip's. eth0 - 192.168.0.1
eth0:0 - 170.211.36.99

All the LTSP clients, being served via DHCP on the LTSP server, have a default GW back to the LTSP server. Then this should be enough along with NAT to get the clients to access the static IP's of 170.211.36.x. Then in /etc/rc.d/init.d/nat change the PUBLIC_ETHERNET="eth1" to be PUBLIC_ETHERNET="eth0:0"

To get eth0:0 to stick as a configured ip address (after testing with ifconfig eth0:0 170.211.36.99), go make the configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
DEVICE=eth0:0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=172.211.36.99
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

This should come up on a "service network restart" or at bootup.

Of course this isn't enough to get them out to the rest of the network, for that you need to have a default GW on the LTSP server to the 172.211.36.x default GW. Once you do that you should be fully integrated.

I see you got one of your networks working by sticking in a card. Hope this helps in one of your 2 situations you need help in.

Sincerely,
Richard Black