Re: LTSP 4 and K12LTSP - Was [K12OSN] Are You Ready for a 64-BitPC?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Chris Thomas wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> Since LTSP 4 will be a compile from scratch type
> thing, how will K12LTSP handle this? Will LTSP be
> pre-compiled or will you have to compile LTSP after
> K12 is installed? I also have another question. Will
> there be a big performance hit or compatibility issues
> if LTSP is compiled to be used on one cpu architecture
> but ran on another?

There will be binary packages for LTSP-4.  I certainly
don't expect everybody to be compiling LTSP from scratch.

As for performance hit, don't expect to see any difference.

Initially, LTSP will be built for any x86 compatible chip (386 and up).

We may consider building additional binary packages specifically
for higher-end x86 machines, to take advantage of additional
instructions and features of the chips.

Also, part of the goal of starting from source is it opens the
way for us to port to other architectures, such as the strongarm,
ppc and sparc chips.

I suspect that Eric will be including ltsp-4 binaries in the k12ltsp
distro, and there should be very little change in the packaging
that he does.

And, if you want to know WHEN ltsp-4 will be available, lets just
say that there is a little Linux conference taking place in
San Francisco next week, and there just "might" be an announcement.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org