Re: [K12OSN] smart cards

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 04:06, Robert wrote:
> I'm investigating the feasibilty and cost of using smart card technology for
> user access. Has anyone done this yet - all comments are welcome
> benefits:
>  -unified student id cards and system access
> -secure login with user defined pin#, no need for username/password
> cons:
> -hardware and cost

Just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't this just increase your
administrative overhead for no good reason? You still have to setup home
directories and user names, even if the students don't use them to
authenticate. So instead of managing username and password, you are
managing usernames and PINs (which _will_ get forgotten), and then also
have to worry about lost / stolen cards. What happens when a kid forgets
their card at home and needs to get on a system? What happens when the
card reader breaks? Do you really have any information or network
resource that is valuable enough to justify this expense, both in terms
of cash outlay for the equipment and the additional overhead of
maintaining a more complex (and likely more fragile) system?
--
   -Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989