[K12OSN] Re: Boot Disk reward: $100

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 12:00 PM, Alan A Hodson wrote:

<snip>

I am convinced that we can turn the DHCP off, and give each terminal a linux booting
floppy that gives the box an IP (from a given range) and also gives it the LTSP
server IP address so that loading can continue. In other words, what I
am looking for is a floppy based distribution which is able to focus
soley on booting to a point where the network card module can be loaded,
the network configured where NFS or some other file sharing mechanism is
able to allow access to the server across the network to complete the
booting sequence.

What would be ideal is a booting floppy that when inserted asks for two
things: the ip of the LTSP server and  the ip it should assign itself.
Then it communicates and completes the load...

<snip>

Alan,

A good place to start might be:

http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/20030517/ (note directory says May 17, 2003 but it was just updated yesterday June 1, 2003)

You can read more about what UDP cast does at:

http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/

UDPcast is a utility that can be used to take the HD of one PC and copy it to a lab's worth of PC's via UDP over the network (similar to Ghost) It is a boot floppy and has many ethernet modules already installed. When it's booting it asks you if you want to use DHCP or for the IP you want to use. It also asks if it is a sender (Golden Master machine) or a receiver. Works for any PC OS you want to copy.

I'm certainly not up to the challenge you pose, but for people who are, that may be a very good place to start.

How difficult can this
be, right? A "real" Linux challenge...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
--Jimi Hendrix