Re: [K12OSN] Boot Disk reward: $100

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 16:34, Alan A Hodson wrote:
[snipped]

> What would be ideal is a booting floppy that when inserted asks for two
> things: the ip of the LTSP server and  the ip it should assign itself.
> Then it communicates and completes the load... How difficult can this
> be, right? A "real" Linux challenge...
>
> I will send a $100 money order to the user that emails me an image I can
> mount and try with my boxes (realtech NICs) - the offer is good until that
> objective is accomplished. At that time I'll post the name of the person
> and perhaps make available the code to all (the developer may want
> royaltie$ - I'm game)

    As much as I'd *love* to help out with this, inasmuchas this is the
month we'll find out if we'll be moving, or they'll come take the
house...but there may be a way that's a lot easier on you and the DHCP
gods at your location.

    Getcha some network-bootable cards.  Sure, they still use DHCP, but
it won't require anything more of your DHCP-God than he's doing now:
just a MAC for an IP address. The same as any other PC. It's rugged,
solid, and 'the way it's supposed to be' you'll love it.

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Evansville, IN                                             and Technomad
ICQ 5119262                                    http://www.kamakiriad.com
Linux: it's all about choice and better software.      Live free or die.