Re: [K12OSN] Default Gnome screens

Mike: Here's some info to help you get started (by the way, my system is
using Gnome 1.4.1.2.90-14 [I use "rpm -qa | grep gnome-libs" to get the
version]):

The initial desktop files come from the /etc/skel/.gnome-desktop
folder.  Also, each user has a .gnome-desktop folder within their home
folder that contains their specific settings.  The files--as well as
everything else in /etc/skel--are copied the first time the user logs
in.  Within the .gnome-desktop folder are files that contain information
about the programs that are run from the desktop; most of the files on
my system have a .desktop extension.   There is also a file called
.nautilus-metafile.xml that controls which icons appear on the desktop,
their name on the desktop, and where they are positioned.

So by manipulating what is in the /etc/skel folder and the contents of
the .nautilus-metafile.xml file, you may set up global configurations
for users.

Also, check:
http://www.gnome.org
http://www.gnome.org/learn/
http://gnomedesktop.org
http://gnomedesktop.org/forums/

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym fsusd k12 ca us

>>> lists duncanconsultinggroup com 06/02/03 09:17AM >>>
Hi all.

I am fairly new to linux admin, though I've been a user for a while
now.  I am trying to set up K12LTSP and Gnome as the default desktop.
However, I've noticed that there are some icons pushed onthe desktop
at
first login that I do not want there.  Server config settings and
system
config settings are the main ones.

When I started looking through the system, I found FloppyAccess under
the default directory, but not the others, so I'm assuming that those
get pushed on there when the user logs in for the first time.

How do I go about disabling those icons?

Mike