Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Expansion

--- Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:
>
> >I have to get some advice from you guys...but before I do I must let you
> >know some more about my current setup.
> >
> >We're running 60 thinknic terminals (3 per classroom) in our elementary
> >building. These run from our Terminal Server in our Tech Office (in the
> >High School). We run HP Procurve 4000 switches everywhere in this
> district
> >and each building averages 2. The terminals go back to a vlan setup on
> one
> >of the elementary building's switches and then from that switch they go
> >via a fiber pair back to our tech office to a vlan on one of our
> switches
> >and then to our server.
>
> We have a bunch of Procurve 4000's as well. By modern standards they are
> a bit slow, but they are rock-sold work-horses.
>
> Since these are modular switches, we'll need to know if you are
> running them on 100mb or 1000mb in this specific case. In either case,
> we'll need to know the current utilization of the connection between this
> middle school and the high school.
>

> >We're adding onto our elementary 20 more classrooms to accomodate our
> >grammar school (k-3). We're getting another server and more terminals
> >(probably 60 more). The main problem here is I only have that one pair
> of
> >fiber I can use to go back to the building. There won't be an acceptable
> >place in that building that I can store that server. SO...I'll probably
> be
> >ordering a rackmount dell server and adding it to that same
> >vlan....somehow. My question is: How's the best way to go about doing
> >this? Is there a way I could just run DHCP on my current server and
> >somehow have it point the other clients to the other server? Is there a
> >better way?
>
> If you have two vlans on the same fiber, will *need* two different
> DHCP settings (either two different DHCP servers or two different subnet
> configurations on one server; it's easy either way). Since you will need
> two different DHCP settings, it is easy to point one to LTSP server A and
> the other to LTSP server B... such as.... (sample config on one DHCP
> server)
>
> shared-network WORKSTATIONS-A {
>   subnet 10.0.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>      range dynamic-bootp 10.0.1.100 10.0.1.250;
>      option routers                10.0.1.254;
>      option domain-name-servers    10.0.1.254;
>      option domain-name            "ltsp";
>      option root-path              "10.0.1.254:/opt/ltsp/i386";
>      # trick from Peter Rundle <peter rundle au interpath net>
>      if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient"
>      {
>         filename      "/lts/pxe/pxelinux.bin";
>           # NOTE: kernels are specified in
> /tftpboot/lts/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/
>      }
>      else
>      {
> [...]

Heh!  I knew you or Paul would have the answer! ;-)

Which appears to be exactly what the manpage suggests:

       Some  installations  have  physical networks on which more
       than one IP subnet operates.   For example, if there is	a
       site-wide requirement that 8-bit subnet masks be used, but
       a department  with  a  single  physical	ethernet  network
       expands	to the point where it has more than 254 nodes, it
       may be necessary to run two 8-bit subnets on the same eth-
       ernet  until  such  time	 as a new physical network can be
       added.	In this case, the subnet declarations  for  these
       two  networks may be enclosed in a shared-network declara-
       tion.

James Jensen
Go Spurs Go!

<gollum>
Oh how we haaateeessss to Read the Fine Manulesssssss...
</gollum>