Re: [K12OSN] clusetKnoppix (LTSP+openMosix live server CD)

Hi James,

OK so now I 'm to running KNOPPIX from the cdrom but the ws tells me I  haven't enough memory to run KDE (it needs 82mg more ??) Second it suggests that I need to have a DOS partition to setup a swap file..... I'm confused ..why a DOS partition fro a Linux (Debian) system ??

BTW all my video cards are ATI Rage II with 4 mg
WS P-I 166 Mhz with 32 MG of ram

Thanks
Norbert

jmsjnsnsatx yahoo com wrote:
Hmm, I have it installed to HDD on a box I will have to take a look.  I was
more concerned at that time with getting my video settings adjusted.  Let's
see what Wim Vandersmissen says on this since he's the mastermind that put
this excellent product together...

Wim, any suggestions or advice on running clusterKnoppix from HDD?

Thanks,

James Jensen

--- Norbert <bear2bar netscape net> wrote:

Hi James,

Thanks for the links of info, however there is a problem ... the second
link, http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/xx.html, displays a KDE desktop
with a menu item "KNOPPIX" with extensions. I installed on my HD KNOPPIX
V3.2003-05-20 and I do not have that menu item. (A search found
/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver))
Next the configurations goes well, except for selecting "squid -
therefore excluded" and the workstations bootup to an error "can't
NFSmount KNOPPIX filesystem" I 've searched for this error message in the
archives, FAQ, forums, etc..., without any results.
Can you (or anyone) help explain and resolve this?

Thank you for any assistance.

Norbert

James Jensen <jmsjnsnsatx yahoo com> wrote:

clusterKnoppix can be used as thin-client server.  You do NOT have to
install it on any of your thin-clients.  Just boot the clusterKnoppix CD

on

your "server" and the thin-clients can then boot from it just as they

would
>from an LTSP/K12LTSP server (once you do the configure).  Works great.

See the docs at:
http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/index.html
http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/xx.html

You can install clusterKnoppix to hdd using the included knx-hdinstall
command.  You will need about 2GB of HDD space plus space for your
swapfile.  Very easy, just be sure to install with ext2 or ReiserFS
only--XFS and ext3 won't work.

I just loaded clusterKnoppix on a machine today with ReiserFS.  A couple

of

things to tweak, for example: you need to adjust your keyboard layout
settings (I did this in KDE Control Panel), and the video settings need

be customized for your particular video hardware in XF86Config file...

I like ext3 so I will reload using ext2 and then attempt to convert it

ext3 and see if it works out:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-filesystem-ext3-convert.html

...another thing to do will be to create seperate partitions for various
aspects of the system (/home, /etc, /var, etc.) and move them from the

main

knoppix root partition on the HDD.

James Jensen

[snip]