Re: [K12OSN] workstation loads apps more slowly than server console

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:29:23AM -0500, Petre Scheie wrote:
> I had version 3.0.1 installed on a Compaq ML370 w/dual 2.8Ghz processors
> and 4GB of RAM in our test lab and was using an old P166 and some 750Mhz
> Dell OptiPlex machines as clients a few weeks back.  It worked
> wonderfully and there didn't seem to be any difference in how quickly an
> app loaded on the console vs. the P166.  I got approval to do further
> testing outside the lab (lab doesn't have access to our mail server,
> e.g.) so I installed the 3.0.1 on my 1Ghz Dell OptiPlex desktop, with a
> 40GB IDE drive and 512MB RAM, added a second ethernet card (10/100Mb
> RealTek 8139), and brought the P166 along for a client.  I'm using the
> console as my workstation and that works fine.   What's puzzling me is
> that apps take noticibly longer to load on the client than on the
> console.  For example, Mozilla takes just 4 seconds to load on the
> console, but 9 seconds on the P166 client; MS Word under CrossOver
> Office takes 3 seconds on the console, but 14 seconds on the client.

Which window environment are you using? KDE? Gnome? IceWM? Other?

At home we started having delays when running apps under KDE. Not just the apps, program menus and such would also take an eternity to be fully displayed. Our simple solution was to switch to Gnome.

So ... have you tried a different graphical manager?

I'm not speaking from any great source of knowledge - just shooting in the dark, based on my limited experience.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)