Re: [K12OSN] How to stop RH9's fancy server console screen?

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Dan Young wrote:

> Jeff Kinz said:
> > In the file /etc/inittab, change this line:
> > id:5:initdefault:
> >
> > to look like this:
> > id:3:initdefault:
> >

> > save the file and issue the command "teleinit 3".
>
> That's "telinit 3".

The problem is, that will stop the display manager from
running at all.

I think he still wants the clients to be able to connect,
but doesn't want the server to be in graphical mode.

and I agree with him very much on this.  Leaving the
server in graphical mode, causes you to miss any messages that
the kernel might be spitting out to the console.

What he needs to do is figure out which display manager
he is using, and then disable the Xserver on the console
in the appropriate place.

For gdm, the config file is /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
Down near the bottom of that file is a line that looks
like this:

  0=/usr/bin/X11/X

Simply comment out that line.

If he is using KDM or XDM, he just needs to edit the /etc
X11/xdm/Xservers file and comment out the line
that says:

   :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Restart the display manager, and presto, no more X on the console
but he'll still have X on the workstations.

And, if he wants to run X on the console, then he can
just run:

    startx

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan