Re: [K12OSN] bootable CD

David Dees wrote:

Now here's the question....Is there a way to create a bootable linux CD
that on has a web browser and flash, etc. Any and all suggestion welcomed

There once was an active Thinknic-Tech mailing list on yahoo groups (since closed down, which means the archives are not available). Luckily, I still have the majority of those messages. In there, I found the following posted by a Ken McCord:

---- 8< SNIP >8 ----

Here's a short howto I wrote up on creating a modified NIC CD.  Hope
this helps (It was a rtf document, but attachments aren't allowed).

Ken McCord

Prerequisites:
Linux box with CD-RW and Loopback support (These can be compiled as
modules or in the kernel).
Access to Internet or NIC 2.0.9 CD.

Procedure:
1.Get an ISO image file of the bootable CD by either:
Download the ISO file.
a)Download the latest stable ISO file from
www.thinknic.com/about/cdimages.html to the /tmp directory.
b)Unzip the file by typing 'gunzip /tmp/2.0.9.raw.gz' and pressing
<ENTER>. The file extension will change to .raw (i.e. 2.0.9.raw).
Copy the existing CD-Rom.
a)Mount the NIC CD by typing 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom' and
pressing <ENTER>.
b)Copy the CD image to a file by typing 'dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=/tmp/2.0.9.raw' and pressing <ENTER>.
c)Unmount the NIC CD by typing 'umount /cdrom' and pressing <ENTER>.

2.Create a mount point for the ISO image by typing 'mkdir /tmp/nic'
and pressing <ENTER>.

3.Mount the image by typing 'mount -t iso9660 -o loop 2.0.9.raw
/tmp/nic' and pressing <ENTER>.

4.Create a mount point for the working directory by typing 'mkdir
/tmp/nic2' and pressing <ENTER>.

5.Create an archive of the image by typing 'cd /tmp/nic && tar -cvvf
/tmp/nic.tar .' and pressing <ENTER>.

6.Unmount the image by typing 'cd .. && umount nic' and pressing
<ENTER>.

7.Expand the archive into the working directory by typing 'cd nic2 &&
tar -xvvf ../nic.tar' and pressing <ENTER>.

8.Make your changes to the filesystem in the working directory. Suggested locations to make changes are: /usr/X11R6/share - load1024.gif, load800.gif, root.gif (link to load800.gif) – background images. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc - X program startup script. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint - boot messages. /usr/local/ICAClient/config/appserv.ini - Citrix configuration file. You might want to add '/usr/bin/X11/rxvt &' to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc for debugging purposes.

9.Create the ISO image '/tmp/nic2.iso' by typing 'cd /tmp/nic2 &&
mkisofs -b boot/boot.img.hda -c boot.cat -A 'NIC' -l -L -N -o
/tmp/nic2.iso -P MA -p 00-03-31 -R -V FD10-000331 -v .' and pressing
<ENTER>.

10.Burn the new CD by placing a blank CD-R into the CD-RW drive and
typing 'cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=6 /tmp/nic2.iso' and pressing
<ENTER>.  Note that the settings for 'dev' and 'speed' are dependent
on your CD-RW, and may be different than those shown.

11.When the burn is complete, remove the CD from the CD-RW drive,
place it in the NIC and reboot.  If the CD needs further changes, just
results, don't forget to delete everything in the /tmp directory.

---- 8< SNIP >8 ----

I did this myself once in order to modify that default homepage to set up a ThinkNIC as a webmail station for our custodians to use. I've no idea how much work would be involved in changing application software like Flash, but hopefully this will get you started.

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator