[K12OSN] broken/behind apps in k12ltsp 3.1

tuxtype is broken in k12ltsp. This is apparently a redhat 9 problem.
I fixed mine by following this thread, and downloading a corrected rpm(it is up to 1.5-1 BTW)
http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

and downgraded my SDL_ttf rpm, and it is working fine.

I am also having problems with gcompris....canvas problems, display redrawing, general protection fault when running a certain thin inside it...
so I went out to get current gcompris rpm, and it wants a lot of dependencies, that just aren't there, or are updated in redhat 9.
here is what their rpm is looking for:
[root server root]# rpm -ivh gcompris-3.1-1.i586.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
gdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
gnome-python is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
gnome-python-canvas is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
pygtk2.0 is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
libcrypto.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
libpython2.2.so.0.0 is needed by gcompris-3.1-1
libssl.so.0.9.7 is needed by gcompris-3.1-1

I have a source rpm that is compiling, after muddling through all the dependencies it needs to build, and it is building until the very end, where it is choking on the french documents(an invalid utf-8 error)
so, anyone know how to either fix the french docs problem, or tell the rpm to build without the docs/fr stuff?

here is the spec file I'm working with:
http://bryantschools.org/gcompris.spec

and the source rpm:
http://bryantschools.org/gcompris-3.1-1.src.rpm

and here are all the packages I installed to get this far in building the source rpm:
someof these error out, but it should get you on the right track...

apt-get install smpeg
apt-get install libvorbis
apt-get install aalib
apt-cache search glu
apt-get install glut glut-devel
apt-cache search libjpeg
apt-get install libjpeg libpng
apt-get install gcc
apt-get install libpython gnome-python libcrypto libssl
apt-cache search libpython
apt-cache search libcrypto
apt-get install openssl
apt-get install openssl096