Re: [K12OSN] DHCP Help

I'm in a very similar situation, and here's how I do it. I use a single-NIC install (eth0) and turn off dhcpd. You can use ntsysv or chkconfig to prevent the K12LTSP box's DHCP server from running. Alternately, if that doesn't work, just look for a file in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d with "dhcp" in it. Change the "S" (first letter) to a "K" (basically, just rename it to start w/ K).

Then, run this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop

and that'll stop it for that bootup. Issuing a "service dhcpd stop" will also work on some distros.

Once you do that, then just point your existing DHCP server at the K12LTSP box for the tftp and NFS parameters, and voila, you're done!

--TP

Adam Gaver wrote:

Thanks in advance for any help you might give

I’m really new to Linux to please be patient.

I did an out of the box instillation of K12LTSP.

I’ve got 2 NIC’s and the clients can connect. That was simple enough for this newbie.

What I want to do it put it on our existing windows network and use our existing DHCP server.

The question I have is this: When the clients get an address with our existing DHCP server how do they “know” to look to the K12LTSP server to boot to?

Thanks,

Adam Gaver
Systems Engineer
Remex Corporation.