Re: [K12OSN] How to stop RH9's fancy server console screen?

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 22:57, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Steve Wright wrote:
> > as root ;
> >
> > tail -f /var/log/messages > /dev/tty9 &
> > exit
> >
> > Now you are logged out, the console is secure, and you can
> > <ctrl><alt><F9> and leave the Server "saying what it's thinking" on-screen.
>
> Steve, if this works, it is a bug. This is what happens in your scenario:
> you start a background process from the shell, then you exit. the shell
> *should* tell you that you have processess running and *not* exit. at
> subsequent attempt it *should* quietly exit *after* kiling the background
> processes. to make it work, start the tail with at or cron, or have the
> post logout process fire it up. julius

    Yeah, that won't work- when you exit the process-tree will die.
What you want for that (at least on a one-time basis) is more like:

    nohup tail -f /var/log/messages &
    exit

    There's also a way you can relay this information (and with
filtering) by changing /etc/syslog; I've done it once a long time ago
and it was something like

    *.* /dev/console

    It's in the man pages; trivial to work it out.

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Evansville, IN                                             and Technomad
ICQ 5119262                                    http://www.kamakiriad.com
Linux: it's all about choice and better software.      Live free or die.