From: "John McQuilliams" <mcquill1 juno com>
To: <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] <OT> big companies was:RPM Segmentation Fault (we've
covered this somewhere)

> Hi All
> I would like to bounce an idea to the group as a whole; a group of us
retired seniors ( several professions, teaching, engineering, and
technicians) are working on setting up a plan to turn our local High School
into a paper-less school.
> The school has approximately 1700 students and we have found a way to
invest $400.00 per year per student ($680,000 per year). This is without
having to go into a bond or taxation for the district.
> We have found a hdw mfg who will assemble a tablet form PC (W/Linux OS)
under $400.00 on 1000 or more quantities,delivery 500 per year, our thought
is to take 1 school year, each year and let every student have a PC.
Beginning with the 9th grade level. In theory in 4 years every student would
have their own computer.
> Out of the total budget all Hdw (servers, routers, and teachers computers)
and software (linux OS).
> The primary idea is to have all homework done on the Computer (Tablet type
writeable LCD surface 9X12, Linux OS, CDROM R W ( All course work emanating
from a CD ROM this will take the place of a text ),256 meg RAM, no hard
drive, start mechanism is E-PROM.
> When the idea was first presented to the School District they loved it but
felt it was impossible to finance. We found that with the text book
allowance per student and the yearly student allowance from the state
lottery the total was about $400.00.
> We are programming a 3% breakage and lost figure with a 5 year life period
for the computer, a full time I T Manager with programming skills probably
teaching 2 classes per day. The School presently has about 150 computers
most of which will be given to the local middle schools for key boarding.
> Tentative starting date is Sept. 2004 if approved by the board this fall.
> The question is are we realistic in our figures, we know a lot of the
software will have to be implemented locally concerning course work, a local
programmer is building a shell for the various courses and the teachers will
fill in the shell. We welcome any ideas or remarks you may offer