Re: [K12OSN] RPM Segmentation Fault (we've covered this somewhere)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:33:32AM -0500, Caleb Wagnon wrote:
> > Upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1 yesterday.  It's appears to have hosed my RPM
> > database... When doing a rpm -qa it segmentation faults... Same with rpm
> > -rebuilddb.  I think I saw this already on the list, but for the life of me
> > I can't find it again...
>
> This isn't any help but just so the list knows, I have had this happen
> regularly when I upgrade from non-k12 redhat 8.0 to 9.

Yup, the transition to NPTL (i.e. the threading model that will be used
by linux) is rocky.

You basically need to match rpm/glibc/kernel appropriately.

However, there are invariably easier solutions to rpmdb problems than
reinstalling. Give me a bug report at http://bugzilla.redhat.com
against rpm, and I'll help get you sorted out.

The short answer(s) are

1) Use
	rpm-4.0.5		Red Hat 7x (or equivalent)
	rpm-4.1.1		Red Hat 8.0
	rpm-4.2			Red Hat 9 (with NPTL)

All above available at ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist.

2) Try (in this order)

	a) Save a copy of everything (just in case)
		cd /var/lib
		tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm

	b) Remove stale locks
		rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

	c) Try rebuilding the indices (which also does sanity checks
	on data)
		rpm --rebuilddb -vv

3) If segfaults, then make a bug report.

As long as you have a copy of the database in rpmdb.tar.gz, I can usually
sort out the problem without reinstalling.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj redhat com (jbj jbj org)