[K12OSN] Upgrades

I am about to upgrade my fleet of RH 7 - 8 machines this summer to redhat 9.
I have never upgraded a production server before so I am a little leary.

I was wondering what might be the best way to back up and restore the
machine in case the upgrade goes bad? IE should I just tar up a bunch of
directories and burn them to a cd? What directories do I really need to back
up anyway?

Right now I use rdiff backup to do the machines nightly but I wanna be extra
careful.

When I read the documentation it said that the upgraded packages replace
your config files and names them .old

What do you do? Go through every config file and past the changes into the
new config? Or just say screw it and replace the new one with the old one.

Any tips or advice would be awesome!

Jamie McParland