Re: [Fwd: [K12OSN] RH9's server console screen

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 14:22, John Ingleby wrote:
> After further correspondence with Jim McQuillan, when using GDM
> (Gnome Display Manager) the solution for running an RH9 server
> "headless" is to comment out the whole of the last two sections
> of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, below [servers] to the end.
>
> This has the effects that:
>
> 1. The server boots to a normal (non-graphical) login, which doesn't
>    require mouse and keyboard plugged in to the server
>
> 2. At the server console, with mouse and keyboard plugged in,
>    a user can login and enter "startx" to open (in my case) a
>    GNOME session
>
> 3. Terminals boot to the standard graphical login screen
>
> Note that RH9's "gdmsetup" tool [Menu > System Settings > Login Screen]
> allows you to change the greeter, and doesn't seem to overwrite the
> commented-out sections.
>
> I'll put this on the Wiki.

    Ya know what I'd like to know?  A set of minimal steps to create a
'Linux box' that comes up and uses another xserver a'la LTSP with full
controls over the details...

    I know it's not hard, but darned if I could work it out.

    And has anyone worked out esd, remotely, for such a situation?

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Evansville, IN                                             and Technomad
ICQ 5119262                                    http://www.kamakiriad.com
Linux: it's all about choice and better software.      Live free or die.