[K12OSN] Re: tuxtype install &more

>Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:17:55 -0500
>From: Barry Smoke <bsmoke bryant dsc k12 ar us>
>To: k12osn redhat com
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] tuxtype install
>
>see my post on broken / behind apps in k12ltsp 3.1
>directions on getting tuxtype2 to work
>

>Tom Kovalcik wrote:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I am trying to install 3.1 using the desktop option and adding the
>>educational programs. When I try to run tuxtype I first get an error
>>that /usr/bin/.libs does not exist. When I create this directory, I then
>>get an error that gcc is not installed. Can some one help me get this
>>running? I am trying to sell a new teacher on the K12 package and need
>>to have a demo system up. Tux Typing will be one of the most used
>>programs.
>>
>>Thanks

I noticed this about Tuxtype on my RH9 box.  Oddly, I can start it as root just fine.  I am finding the same issue with KStars.  It dumps on loading if I try to start as user, but starts like a champ and works fine as root.
Isn;t that odd?
I've also learned that I must reinstall both apt-get and yum with new packages.  They will not update themselves, self-update cvs or whatever, they won't even start.
Even odder, I loaded up Shrike about two months ago and I am jsut getting around to finding these things.  OOo was broken, or at least running very slowly, at tifrst, too, but when I loaded the latest, 1.0.3.1, all issues were resolved.  I ahve also gone back to Moz from Nutscrape becuase Nutscrape was hanging like a possum after a freezing rain storm...Latest Moz works fantastically.  I like Phoenix, too, but it lacks features like Mail and stuff.
I should note, again, that this is on my Shrike box, not a K12 box.  I have not updated my k12 box since 3.0.0

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!

School-Library.net