Re: [K12OSN] ATTN: Redhat Developers (OT)

An interesting rant, and pre-apt-get for RPMs I have "felt the pain" on RH
distros.  Debian (and derivatives) have always had the jump on RH with the
real "apt-get".  Mandrake (know it or not) has definitely lead the way on
RPM management with their packaging system (urpmi just plain works).  But
I'd say that now, with RPM enabled apt-get, *what* is the problem?  Where's
the grief?

If you don't like that you can try Ximian's Redcarpet or RH's own RHN.  How
about loading checkinstall and rolling your own apps from scratch? ;-)

I've been through the pain of RH RPM dependencies, rounding up all the
right RPMs and installing them in the right order.  That's one thing that
made Mandrake so appealing--never had to deal with that.

RPM hell is nothing compared to .dll hell of years gone by.  I think the
stries in the openSource arena far and away beat what we've seen in the
past...

It will only get better.  I've been playing with Linux since RH 5.2.  The
development curve has been simply incredible!

Besides the QA behind the RH distros is second to none...

Now if you really want to avoid RPM dependency issues, install Debian or
Knoppix and be done with it...

Or, if you have decent HW & a fast connection, there's always Gentoo...

Packaging is not the problem, what you want is intelligent PACKAGE
MANAGEMENT.  It's here and it's getting refined...

James Jensen
Spurs 1 - Nets 0