Re: [K12OSN] ATTN: Redhat Developers (OT)

Gentoo *is* great, the software compiles specifically for the machine you
are installing it on--on the fly.  BUT, you'd better have a fast connection
and decent hardware (or you will wait for the compiles FOREVER).

For those that want to USE their box today though, you may not want to go
that route.  You're probably not going to install Debian or Slackware (as
rock solid as they are), so where do you turn?  Mandrake, RedHat (and
Knoppix if you don't mind a bit of tweaking once you get it on your HDD).
Yopper is very nice.  But this is OT.  I'm don't want to get into distro
wars but gee guys, back when I started with GNU/Linux I compiled everything
from scratch (without the beauty of Gentoo) so IMO it's like comparing
broadband to my formerly well-used 56K modem--tracking down RPMS, vs,
apt-get/urpmi.  Wazza problem?

Linux has gone from geeks only to user-friendly in almost no time.  If you
hate apt-get command line, use Synaptic.  Again, wazza problem?  I must be
missing something here or maybe (looking at where we've been) I'm just
happy with the rapid *progression* of the state of RPM Management tools...

It's all good.  You hate RPMs, then there's always DEBs, Slack, or rolling
your own...  Choice is a wonderful thing...

James Jensen