Re: [K12OSN] Bandwidth...

Tait-

At 10:26 AM 6/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
We are trying to setup a server for a educator's tech conference in a couple weeks. We are gonna need a wireless bridge between where our server is gonna be and where a couple workstations are gonna be in our booth. When I run a couple workstations over our new 54g wireless access points, it gets slow. We also have a Orinoco long range wireless kit that we use when we have major fiber issues - LTSP is slow there as well. I've tried a 10 Mbps hub and it seem slow then too. I guess I'm curious if there is anything we can do to make the 54g wireless access points to work? Eric or anyone else, can you give any advice? Thanks,

In my experience, there isn't really a whole lot that can be done about it. Wireless just does not have the bandwidth needed to really make LTSP shine. Between less than perfect connection quality and encryption overhead, you typically only achieve a tiny fraction of the maximum possible bandwidth. In my limited and totally anecdotal experience, you can expect to only achieve about 30% of theoretical with wireless. Or about 3 Mb/s on 11b and 15Mb/s on 54g. Both of which are just too slow. I have seen people claiming to get higher speeds than this, but those are about the numbers I have gotten in the field with this kind of equipment.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989