Re: [K12OSN] xbox as thin client for k12ltsp

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 00:05, Barry Smoke wrote:
> Has anyone researched what it would take to make an xbox a thin client...
> $179 price tag makes it appealing, and using the xbox development
> software, I'm sure a boot disk could be made that would not require a
> mod chip.
> of course, with a mod chip, the software could be placed right on the
> hard drive, and run.
> add a keyboard, and mouse(xbox usb adapter to pc usb), and you are set...

Yeh, seems like a good idea on the surface - same goes for the the
PS-2.  There are good web sites describing hacking Linux onto either of
those.  I briefly looked into it for the same reasons as you cite, but
it (the hacking projects) just seemed a bit too immature to seriously
consider it unless you had time to spare to get into development.  I
decided better to go with a cheap single-board computer - especially
since you can turn most of those into either a thin client or a full PC
with little fuss ... but then again that doesn't give you such a good
game console ... oh well, so many options, such little time (and money)
;-).

Gavin.