Re: [K12OSN] upgrades as opposed to updates

Julius-

At 01:42 PM 6/6/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Dear Folks,
        a silly question: what do you do to *upgrade* remote servers?
apt-get is great for updates and can keep all your systems easily updated.
Then comes a new release, say 3.1.0, and you test it and you like it, and
you install it on all local servers, and then there are those remote
servers from 100 to 2000 miles away, and you want to have all the
servers running essentially same software, but you don't have the time to
travel ...
        advice? tia, julius

One way that I have done this sort of task is to use parted to shrink an existing partition, build a new partition, mount it in a temporary space, copy the core of the new OS there, and using chroot, do an install of the new system there, utilizing the support of the old OS. Once done with that, update the bootloader for the new partition, and hope you did everything right... ;) Once that is done, and the system is working on the new partition, you can (theoretically) delete the old partition and then resize the new one to fill the space, leaving you with a partition setup very much like the one you started with. I have not done this last step, I just cleaned out that partition and mounted it elsewhere. YMMV, I've only done this once, and I have the distinct feeling that I got very, very lucky. This also was not with RH, so I am not sure how well it will work out with their install system.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989