Re: [K12OSN] Test TuxType2 packages

Eric Harrison wrote:

It looks like a number of problems in K12LTSP 3.1.0 can be traced back
to the freetype package.

I've built a new version of freetype, SDL_ttf, and tuxtype2.

Please give these a spin on a test 3.1.0 box and let me know if the work
for you...

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/

They work for me, removed the old tuxtype RPM, after looking in the directory to see what was there, I did:

rpm -Fvh ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/*
rpm -ivh ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/tux*
[you wouldn't want to do this if you didn't trust the source, have good backups, etc]

The only problem I notice was when I chose "fingers" from the third menu {with alphabet, small words, large words, etc... ) the program exits with this error on the console. ***ERROR LOADING WORD FILE!****
Spent a little time looking at the tuxtype forums at http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/forums/ and didn't see anything.

Looks like the missing file should go in /usr/share/tuxtype2/data/words/

I put a fingers.txt file there, with the following in it. RING
PINKY
POINTER
MIDDLE
THUMB
I'm guessing the authors had something else in mind for this menu option, but this works.

Alternately, you can remove the last line from /usr/share/tuxtype2/data/words/word.lst
and the 'fingers' menu option does not show up. Or, even better, add your own menus and words.

I'd hesitate to even call this a bug, it drew my attention to the fact that I could make my own word lists and menu items. Maybe that is the purpose of the "broken" menu option. Maybe it has been there all along. ; )

Thanks!
--
Ben Nickell