Re: [K12OSN] OT: Hardware question for thin client

David Hopkins wrote:

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 23:46, Steve Wright wrote:

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

epia 6000 and epia eden 533 use the same nic and essentially the same
bios. there *should* be no problem with pxe boot, but since eden is way
over what's needed for terminal, why spend more money?

often enough, it's cheaper.

I would modify to say "It's cheaper long term".

Julius is correct. There is absolutely no need for more power on the terminals.

However, 8-), The motherboard features sound nice ;

What is the sound quality like ? Dolby Digital Surround ? Does it work under Linux ?
Firewire and stuff - works ok under Linux ?

could be a nice terminal coz of the extra options - yet still small, tidy, quiet and low-power.

My testbed hopefully will eliminate the 'should'. Also, it is the firewire, floppy drive, keyboard power-on that I want
to check on. 2-3 years out I suspect firewire support at the client will
be considered a necessity and K12LTSP will support it. Kind of like floppy support
is useful now and USB support with flash drives at the client is very useful now.
Firewire will be useful for the devices that the technology teacher would
like to use. I could (and do) use recycled PC's, but we have a grant from a foundation
which is funding this implementation and want to demo how low power, quiet,
responsive, and easy to setup/use a "state-of-the-art" K12LTSP lab is.

That's a nice look into the future. 8-) We hope to hear from you shortly then.. 8-)

/steve