Re: [K12OSN] GRUB and Freeze

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 12:24, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Jim Rich wrote:
>
> >Hi All
> >
> >I have installed 3.1.0 pre7.  I took all of the defaults.
> >Linux is the only OS installed.
> >The problem: When I turn on the pc it goes thru post and
> >hangs after displaying
> >GRUB:
> >What do I do now?

<snip>

> If all else fails, here's one thing I've done in the past and it worked...
> boot off the install discs, select "upgrade", and while you are going
> through the upgrade process (which won't actually update any packages),
> you can choose to re-write the bootloader.
>
> -EricA word of caution on this one.  My experience was that
boot loader problems didn't go away from doing ONLY the steps Eric outlined.
After consulting the Grub manual I had to follow their advice and reformat the
master boot record (MBR) where the boot loaders reside to actually reinstall
a fresh copy of GRUB (actually I was having LILO problems and wanted to
replace it with GRUB, but LILO initially wouldn't go away unless I followed
the procedure to wipe the MBR).  And ... (drum roll) the procedure is:

boot with a rescue floppy under DOS or Linux where you have FDISK available,
then at the prompt enter:

	FDISK /MBR

That worked for me under a DOS boot, so I hope it works with Linux.

After doing that follow the procedure Eric gave to install a new copy of GRUB
or install it fresh following GRUB's install instructions.

HTH, Gavin.