Re: [K12OSN] apt-get question

--- Gavin Chester <sales ecosolutions com au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 13:31, James Jensen wrote:
> > --- Daniel Loomis <dloomis cox-internet com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I do have a question:  How or where do I find a current listing of
> the
> > > files
> > > available from the various servers?  The man pages don't indicate a
> > > 'list'
> > > command option for apt-get.  The sources are given in /etc/apt but
> there
> > > does
> > > not appear to be a listing of packages available.  Is there a command
> or
> > > do
> > > you have to go directly to the sites listed in /etc/apt?
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm not aware of a command line option in apt-get that allows you to
> see
> > what's avaialbe where.  I'm sure there is a way to pull that
> information
> > but I don't know how yet.  However, you can use Synaptic (GUI front-end
> > apt) to see what's installed, what's not installed but available from
> your
> > sources list, search/filter for a particular package, etc.  It seems to
> > work fine.
>
> to find the different repositories to put in your apt configuration.
> Maybe that's
> what Daniel meant in his question.  So, where do you find any or all
> repository
> URLs to put into your apt setup?
>
> Gavin.
[snip]

>From /etc/apt/sources.list:

     # Freshrpms.net apt-rpm package repository URLs

     # http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ will always have the most current version
     # of this file.

I think that says it all, IMO.  But even at that I use the list that came
with K12LTSP 3.1.0.  What more would you need?  You get RH 9 updates,
K12LTSP updates, and the ability to install cool packages not included with
RH 9 from Fedora & Freshrpms, etc.  All trusted sources.

James Jensen