Re: [K12OSN] clusetKnoppix (LTSP+openMosix live server CD)

Usually when you get buffer underrun errors, it means that the CD burner wasn't getting data fed to it fast enough. When you burn CD-ROMs, you've got to do it in a constant data stream, which means that, if there's a "break" or "pause" in the data stream that gets fed to the actual laser, you've just made a coaster.

The fix for that is as follows:

1.) Make sure your hard disk isn't otherwise too busy. Remember that you're reading that .iso from the hard disk.
2.) Increase your FIFO. Most CD burners have a 2 to 4MB cache built in, but I've known that to not be quite enough on occasion. That built-in cache will run out of data, the data stream to the laser gets interrupted, and it's coaster time. To address that, cdrecord can make its own additional FIFO (up to 16MB--it may be more now), and when I've done that, I've never made a coaster.
3.) Make sure you've got a decent quality CD burner. Most are good enough, even the ATAPI ones (that used to not be the case). If you bought yours within the last, say, year and a half, you're probably fine there.

Here's my cdrecord command line:

multimedia01]$ cdrecord -v fs=16m speed=8 dev=3,0 MyISOImage.iso

The parameters are as follows:

   -v means verbose.  I like to see what's going on.
   fs=16m means "Fifo Size of 16MB of DRAM".  This is to address #2, above.
   speed=8 means, of course, burn the CD-R at 8x.
   dev=3,0 means my device ID that I got from running cdrecord -scanbus.

Give that a whirl and let us know how it goes.

--TP
Do you Slack!?
Slackware GNU/Linux <http://www.slackware.com/> - Clean, secure, and just works.

Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi James,

I download following clusetKnoppix image file

clusterKNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN-cl1.iso.php

from

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/

It has a ".php" extension in addition to ".iso". md5sum found matched. The burning program could not find the iso image file therefore I renamed it as

clusterKNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN-cl1.iso

On burning following error was found;

E80041899: Write error - buffer underrun occurred - [06/C5/00]
E80041934: TrackWriter error - Flush failed - [T7127]
E80041925: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed - [T7118]

Kindly advise how to get it burned. Thanks in advance.

B.Regards
Stephen Liu