yum as well -- was: Re: [K12OSN] apt-get question

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, James Jensen wrote:

> So here's what I do (cumbersome as it may sound, it's really not so bad), I
> edit sources.list and comment out Fedora & Freshrpms.  So whenever I am
> doing an "apt-get upgrade" it will only pull updates for the distro from
> the "official" repository.  When I want something else that I know is
> available from Fedora or Freshrpms I uncomment their respective lines and
> do the "apt-get install [package]".

> YUM looks similarly good too but I haven't played with it much at all
> yet...

yum will co-exist just fine with other installers and
updaters.  The 'gymnastics' needed of commenting out and
re-commenting others are not needed with yum.  It
intentionally is configurable to look at differing
repositories by specifying laternate configuration files:

    yum update
will reference /etc/yum.conf (which might be an official
mirror)

    yum -c /etc/yum-freshrpms.conf install mplayer
will reference /etc/yum-freshrpms.conf (which might point at
Matthias' FreshRPMs archive, and in this instance solve and
install mplayer (which does not ship with Red Hat)

and so forth.  BUT WAIT, there's more ...

At the time this option ('-c') was introduced, at my request,
addition of symbolic and positional variables were also added
to yum, along with the addition of 'URL' accessible
configuration files.  I published sample GPL code to take
advantage of the power to have a central PHP script, web
accessible, to dispatch yum to look at an archive, possible
updated fro raw .ISOs.  This permits 'up2date' -like
web-management of hosts through yum with a single
configuration and a bit of back end scripting.

See the code and discussion at:
	http://www.owlriver.com/support/yum/

-- Russ Herrold