Re: [K12OSN] <OT> yum+bind was: yum as well was: apt-get question

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Steve Wright wrote:

> Can I use yum+BIND9 to create a download hiearchy ?
>
> The idea would be to ;
>
>   Mirror sites in my country download from the nearest or central
> repository(ies)

yes -- it would work fine.  But, simpler is better.  by
setting the domain in your /etc/resolv.conf, and adding a
stanza:

updates]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - Updates
baseurl=ftp:///pub/yum-repository/redhat/updates/$releasever/

... you are done looking for a (potentially present) local FTP
mirror. If is is missing, it can fail over to the next
archive.  Recent yum candidates seamlessly support multiple
archives in a single stanza as well.

This works fine for autorpm for pre RHL 7.0 host maintenance.

-- Russ Herrold