From: Jim Anderson [mailto:netman1 optonline net]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 2:34 AM
To: K12OSN Mailing List
Subject: [K12OSN] K12LTSP and Citrix?

Hello,

I'm new to this list, but I have some K12LTSP experience as I run a K12LTSP
v3.0 server at home (RH8).  I work in network support for a school district
in a New York suburb. We are have a Citrix installation (and there won't be
any change to that situation). It does work well, except for the expense
because the clients are NT4 workstations with an ICA client.

I would like to incorporate K12LTSP into the existing Citrix environment.
I've heard this is possible, but I don't know how it would be done.  Can
anyone point me to some documentation that can help me out?  So far I
haven't had any luck finding any, except for the mention that it's possible.
Is the ICA client run from the Linux server?  Also, can I set up the
accounts so that the user can log into the Windows domain from the client
login screen.

We're currently using NT4, but are migrating the servers to Windows 2003
this summer.  The Citrix servers are currently at Windows 2000.  The
standard workstations will continue to be NT4, at least until next year.  We
have one domain and the buildings are connected by gigabit Ethernet.  There
are about 2000 workstations around the district.  My idea is to enable the
oldest workstations get a KDE desktop (editable
menus) and applications from the K12LTSP servers and connect to Citrix when
Windows-based applications are required.  The user files need to be saved on
Windows file servers (not the Citrix servers).  There is an existing DNS and
DHCP structure in place.  Email connectivity to an Exchange server from the
Linux clients would be a plus (but that's for another day).

I know I'm asking a lot the first time out, so please bear with me. If this
works out I hope to be able to use it as model to convince my employer to
deploy it in other school districts.  Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Anderson

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
	-Gandalf the Grey