Re: [K12OSN] DHCP: Campus autonomy vs District centralism

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:05, k12osn-request redhat com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 02:52:52 -0600
> To: k12osn redhat com
> From: Alan A Hodson <ahodson elp rr com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] DHCP: Campus autonomy vs District centralism

<snip>

> The bottom line idea here is naturally NOT to have to run an internal DHCP
> - we are trying to have a "sole" DHCP generator for the whole District...
> just looking for different ways to reconcile campus autonomy with district
> centralism

This reply comes a long time after yours, but I like it when some of my
postings are replied to better late than never ;-).

You've had several knowledgeable postings already in response, and I
know nix about networking, but I just saw this mini HOW-TO and thought
it may provide some answer to you needing to avoid running DHCP:

(quote)
Network booting with GRUB
Here is a little HOW-TO on network booting with GRUB and Knoppix. The
advantage of this method is that it does not need a DHCP server like
Knoppix-Terminal-Server. It uses GRUBs ability to load files over the
network (using TFTP) and then uses an NFS server to mount the Knoppix CD
image. This is interesting in environments where you have no control
over the DHCP server and must not start you own one (unless you want to
meet the sysadmin ;-)
(end quote)

The above quote is found at:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/knoppix/index.html
and the HOW-TO is at:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/knoppix/knx-netboot.html

Hope that's of some help.

--
Regards,

	Gavin Chester

	mailto: gc gwchester com
	962 Williams Rd, Dwellingup, Western Australia 6213
	Tel: (08)95381102  Fax: (08)95381409