[K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

Just wanted to share:

I learned at the International Academy of Science last week that there is a company that makes NICs and Switches that allow 100% Gigabit Ethernet speeds on existing cat5 & cat3 cables (not just cat5e). That means we can upgrade to Gigabit backbones without rewiring! Just buy new switches and new NICs for the servers and you're done. Very cool! I couldn't believe it when I saw them plug in cat3 cables and make it run at Gigabit speed (100%)!!!!! Whoa.

I thought that I ought to become a reseller of these things. I haven't, of course, cuz' I make so much money as a tech. coord. at my small rural school (LOL) - I don't need another job. I definately wouldn't have the time for it.

Anyway, for those of you running K12LTSP and using or thinking about using Gigabit - you don't have to spend $250.000 on rewiring! The company is called wideband (i think: www.wband.com).

Richard K. Ingalls
Technology Coordinator
Glenwood R-8 School
awm002 mail connect more net
(417) 256-4849

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."