Re: [K12OSN] Penguin Computing Relion 140 Review

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 13:00, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Colleagues-
>          As promised, here is my review of the Relion 140 I recently
> ordered from Penguin Computing. The machine has the following major specs:
>
> -1U (1.75") high rack-mount enclosure
> - Dual Xeon 2.66Ghz with Hyper-threading
> - 6GB of registered PC 2100 DDR SDRAM ( 6x 1GB Corsair DIMMs)
> - Tyan Thunder i7501 Motherboard (Two onboard GB NICs, 1 onboard 100MB NIC,
> onboard ATI video, USB, 2 serial, 1 LPT)
> - 3 36GB 10K RPM Seagate Cheetah SCA HDD's (setup in a 70GB Raid 5 array)
> - LSI MegaRaid 320164 with Battery backup and 64MB of cache RAM
> - slim (laptop style) CD-ROM
> - 3 year warranty (extended support available, but not purchased)

[Snipped; great job, BTW!]

    Sounds like a sweet machine!

    I never rely on preloaded software, though I suppose I'm supposed
to. I just prefer to know the same load that I put on all the others, so
that administration is easier and more sure.  Call it a quirk.

    Missing the details like the keys and such is definately a problem.
They need to hear this, at the manufacturer.  This kind of feedback is
VERY valuable to them, if they intend to stay in business at all.  And,
since they bought Don Becker's business to build clustered Linux boxes
for big business, I think they are.  You know Don Becker; his name
appears when almost ANY network module is loaded.  He's written
something like 10,000 drivers for Linux.  Not to be confused with Walter
Becker, of Steely Dan fame...

    Good work; very complete, very clear, and a 'short cut' to the
particulars makes it an easy read.  In my writings, I'll try to emulate
your style.  Best yet, you provided a service to those of us looking for
a densely packed, economical machine to act as a server.

    GoodOnYa!

Brian Fahrlander                             Linux Zealot, Conservative,
Evansville, IN                                             and Technomad
ICQ 5119262                                    http://www.kamakiriad.com
Linux: it's all about choice and better software.      Live free or die.