Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:

I learned at the International Academy of Science last week that there
is a company that makes NICs and Switches that allow 100% Gigabit
Ethernet speeds on existing cat5 & cat3 cables (not just cat5e).

I really don't like the sound of that.

What's not to like? Some schools that have cat3 wiring are looking at tens of thousands in rewiring if they want Gigabit or even 100Megabit. With this new technology, they don't have to rewire.

Richard K. Ingalls
Technology Coordinator
Glenwood R-8 School
awm002 mail connect more net
(417) 256-4849

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."