Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

Guy Lessard wrote:

Are we talking about 100M length cables?

Yep. They did research on their NICs and Switches and they have some type of proprietary chip that "listens" better to the signal than others (the NICs are based on Intel's chips - but Intel can't make theirs run on cat3 or regular cat5). The research showed they could run up to 205M, but they will only support it on standard 100M lengths. Also, they don't officially support it on cat3. But, a school had bought their NICs and Switches and put it on their existing cat3 cables and it worked! The president of the company was told about it (he's the guy that invented the patents on their technology) and even he couldn't believe it! Funny, eh?

I'm excitied to think that I can get Gigbit speed on my existing cat5 wires! If you don't believe it you need to check them out at the next trade show. The company is called WideBand. The founder is Dr. Roger Billings (former Novell R&D scientist).

cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us a écrit :

I learned at the International Academy of Science last week that there
is a company that makes NICs and Switches that allow 100% Gigabit
Ethernet speeds on existing cat5 & cat3 cables (not just cat5e).

I really don't like the sound of that.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator