Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:18, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:
> >>I learned at the International Academy of Science last week that there
> >>is a company that makes NICs and Switches that allow 100% Gigabit
> >>Ethernet speeds on existing cat5 & cat3 cables (not just cat5e).
> >
> >I really don't like the sound of that.
>
> What's not to like?  Some schools that have cat3 wiring are looking at
> tens of thousands in rewiring if they want Gigabit or even 100Megabit.
> With this new technology, they don't have to rewire.

I remember having a debate with someone a while back i dunno what list. But I
run 100baseT on sheilded cat3 no problems. Over runs of about 50-60m. I get
the same speeds as the cat5 that goes the same distance.

Tho standard gigE wont work like that since it uses 4 pairs.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert McDonald