[K12OSN] /home from two servers?

Colleagues-
The increasing disk space requirements of my students and staff is going to soon require that I split the home directories across two different fileservers. What is the most elegant way to do this, and still have the appropriate ~ directory available on any of my linux machines? The logical split would be between students and staff. I have thought of defining /home/students/*username* and /home/staff/*username* and NFS mounting the appropriate /home from the appropriate fileserver within them separately, but that would involve increased overhead, or at least making some low-level changes to how user accounts are defined. Another thought I've had is using an automounter to mount the appropriate NFS export on the fly, but I haven't used automounting before and am curious if it would even do that job. What are your thoughts on approaching this problem? Also, have any of you had experiences, good or bad, with using disk quotas for user's directories? I have looked at using XFS since it supports quotas, but the extended EXT3 seems to support quotas as well. I have found lots of theoretical information on this, but very little real-world feedback or information.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989