Re: [K12OSN] Gigabit on cat5 and even cat3!

Guy Lessard wrote:

A little googling says that the company has linux 2.5 drivers for this NIC.
Someone out there ready to try it? Maybe Wideband could donate 2 NICs for
eval purposes!

It's worth a try! Call or email them. While you're at it ask them for some eval switches as well! I asked them (the Wideband researchers) about Linux drivers and they said they've got them. I saw a test class lab (very similar to our K12LTSP labs!!) and they were running on a modified Linux kernel with Gnome on the desktop.

"Richard K. Ingalls" a écrit :

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

Actually, the Gig-E spec for twisted pair (IEEE 802.3ab) always has
specified Cat 5.  You are quite correct in saying that you don't need
Cat 5e.  However, there's no way you'll get it working across Cat 3 at
full Gig-E speeds, if at all.  You'd be lucky to get 20Mbps across it,
assuming it even works!  Even if it does somehow sync up across Cat 3,
you'll have so many CRC errors it's crazy; you're much better off
simply upgrading your cable plant, even given what it costs.  We've
had to do exactly that to a bunch of our schools, 'cause even
100BaseTX just will not work across Cat 3 (100BaseT4 will, but nobody
makes those anymore).

If someone's figured out how to actually pull off Gig-E across *Cat
3*, then it's totally nonstandard and violates every IEEE spec that
exists. You actually *saw* this running on Cat 3 at *full* 1Gbps? If
so, what were they using for a data xfer demonstration? A FTP
session? A Windows "drag 'n' drop" file copy? Pardon me if I seem a
bit cynical, but I just have a very hard time believing IEEE 802.3ab
Gig-E on Cat 3 of *any* cable length.

I know.  I found it hard to believe too.  But they did drag and drop
from memory to memory (to eliminate the hard drive speeds from the
equation).  I'm not a spokesperson for the company so I'm not going to
go into any more detail.  You can email them or call or visit their
website.  I was just impressed and wanted to share what I saw.

WideBand Corporation,
401 W. Grand, Gallatin,
MO 64640,
phone: (660) 663-3000,
fax: (660) 663-3736;
web: www.wband.com

--TP

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:

Just wanted to share:

I learned at the International Academy of Science last week that
there is a company that makes NICs and Switches that allow 100%
Gigabit Ethernet speeds on existing cat5 & cat3 cables (not just
cat5e).  That means we can upgrade to Gigabit backbones without
rewiring!  Just buy new switches and new NICs for the servers and
you're done.  Very cool!  I couldn't believe it when I saw them plug
in cat3 cables and make it run at Gigabit speed (100%)!!!!!  Whoa.

I thought that I ought to become a reseller of these things.  I
haven't, of course, cuz' I make so much money as a tech. coord. at my
small rural school (LOL) - I don't need another job.  I definately
wouldn't have the time for it.

Anyway, for those of you running K12LTSP and using or thinking about
using Gigabit - you don't have to spend $250.000 on rewiring!  The
company is called wideband (i think: www.wband.com).

Richard K. Ingalls
Technology Coordinator
Glenwood R-8 School
awm002 mail connect more net
(417) 256-4849

"According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."